The soda industry has long been the target of the anti-obesity campaign. Our industry and its members have continued to take steps to educate our consumers on healthy choices. We are always seeking new ways to meet the changing needs of our customers. While we’re working to improve, it’s important that we continue to communicate accurate information on obesity. Below are important facts that have often gotten missed in media coverage on the obesity debate:
- Calories from soda and other regular sweetened beverages are declining:
- Full calorie soda down 12.5%
- Average calorie soda down 23%
- Food is the number one source of added sugars, not beverages.
- Calories from soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages are only 7% of the American diet.
Curbing obesity in this country is a collective effort between the food and beverage industry coupled with overall lifestyle education. We are ready to be a part of that collective conversation.